Insomnia is in motion when a person is not able to sleep either at day or night. When they sleep eventually, it is not refreshing for them. Sleep is meant to produce a restorative effect and the only phenomenon that disrupts this is insomnia
Below are some of the unpleasant effects of insomnia
- Adverse health problems: When an individual has insomnia, there is a likely chance that the person would be susceptible to health problems. Some of them are Heart attack, Heart disease, Heart failure, Irregular heartbeat, Stroke, Diabetes, High Blood Pressure and a whole lot.
- Sex-drive reduction: People who have insomnia also experience a reduction in their sex drive. These set of people become less interested in sex, due to enhanced tension and reduced energy.
- Depression: This is one of the common effects of insomnia. Inability to sleep and sleep disorders can induce symptoms of depression. People who have depression do not sleep more than five hours at night. Insomnia which is obviously the most common sleep disorder, can cause depression in an individual.
- Ages your skin: People who do not sleep properly experience skin aging. Their eyes and skin become puffy when they have missed some nights of sleep. When it becomes worse, the person develops lackluster skin, dark circles and a host of others. So, the body secrets more stress hormone cortisol in excess. This cortisol in turn breaks down the skin collagen, responsible for keeping the skin elastic and smooth.
- Makes you forgetful: If you want to have a sharper memory, then it is vital for you to get more sleep. The sharp wave ripples in the brain that are responsible for memory storage are affected when the individual does not sleep properly.
- Weight gain: Based on research, if you do not sleep properly, there is a likely chance of you being hungry, and this can lead to obesity. People who sleep less than six hours daily, are more likely to develop obesity.